Friday, April 18, 2014

Formula Friday - LEN (cell character length)


Do you need to know how many characters are in a certain cell in Excel?  Well, Excel has an easy formula you can use to count the characters or see the length.  The formula is LEN.  An example of when this can come in really handy is when you are filling in a form or uploading data to a form that has specific character limits.

To use this formula:
-Click on the cell where you want to see the character count (length) results
-Enter LEN([cell you want evaluated])
-Note: Spaces will also be counted as a character with this formula
-Press Enter
-Now you will see the number of characters in the result cell

Example:
-In this example I want to see how many characters are in each of the cells in the Address column.  The form that I am uploaded my data to has a character limit of 20 for the address field, so I want to make sure that my cells do not exceed this count.
 
-Click on cell G2
 
-Enter =LEN(C2)
-Press Enter
-Now you will see the number of characters in cell G2 (12 characters)
-From here I am going to copy this formula down to cells G3 through G10.
-Copy cell G2
-Highlight cells G3 through G10
-Paste the formula
-Now each of these cells will have the same formula and will display the characters in each cell
-Cells G6 and G10 have more than 20 characters, so now I know I need to make some changes to those cells

Excel ya later!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment